Friday 22 May 2009

Undressing

I'm getting more confident in the shower and have been using it while on my own in the flat. Getting out is still a little tricky although I can bend my knee more and swing my leg over the edge of the bath.

One side effect of having a really good wash is my dressing came loose. I was idly stroking/massaging my knee - I think this is turning into a nervous tick - and found I was fiddling with the plaster. The clinic nurse had advised me to keep it on for 3-4 days so I was a little early in removing it, although I did had spare dressing. On inspection my knee is mildly bruised and there are some lumps I haven't felt through the dressings. The swelling does appear to be coming down. The wounds have healed well and are just thin scabs.

Exercises

Hamstring curls are still painful at 45 degrees however I can work though it with gritted teeth.
Squats - I found these painful today so limited it to 5 reps of mini squats but did them more frequently.
Calf stretches are helping
Balance - good. I easily stood on my bad leg and kicked a ball around it, both clockwise and anticlockwise. I'm still not as good as I was pre op at balancing with my eyes closed.
Knee bends - I can bend my knee one big toe length further than I could yesterday.
Knee extention stretch - so much better. No pain. I was knitting and listening to the radio when I realised I'd been stretching for 40min. I need to make this harder...

Swelling

Improving. I kept my leg elevated for much of the day and in the evening noticed the faint outline of my patella for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment