Tuesday 19 May 2009

Day 14 - Two weeks post op

Well it's two weeks since surgery. Time has flown by, surprisingly so. I think I've listened to all of radio 4 however my knitting projects are not much further on. This may be due to having internet access in bed.

I had a physio appointment this afternoon. My usual physio was off sick however the person I saw was friendly and professional. Here's my progress report.

Knee extension: Excellent. My physio was impressed and said most patients knees wouldn't hyper extend this soon after surgery. I can't fully extend my leg myself yet so this came as a pleasant surprise. It's also made the pain of the extension exercises worth while.

Knee flexion: Pretty good. i can bend to 90 and now need to work on getting the full range of motion (ROM). There's still some swelling just above my patella so I need to work on getting that down with more ice, massage and leg raising.

Walking: I know I'm hobbling and not fully extending my leg while walking. I've got some new quads exercises as well as resuming sliding squats - my favourite.

Balance: I managed to balance on my bad leg for 30 seconds, although not with my eyes closed. This, apparently is very good. My physio seemed pleased anyway. For my next trick I need to improve on this and practice balancing while doing other things like cleaning my teeth and with my eyes closed.

I had a go on the quad machine in the gym at the hospital and managed to press 20kg. I think this is what I was doing pre op. My knee was very wobbly though.

I've got a new sheet of exercises and an appointment for two weeks time. I'm going to see the consultant tomorrow and have my wound checked.

No comments:

Post a Comment