Thursday 14 May 2009

Day 9 - Small Steps

Sleep - Not bad. Woke up at 4am with a grumbling pain in my knee and irritating period pain. I managed to ignore both and fell asleep pretty quickly. Woke up properly at 9:30am, confused by In Our Time on Radio 4. Had strange dreams about Japanese calligraphy and mini buses. I think pain makes my dreams more vivid.

On walking back to bed from the bathroom I found I wasn't using my crutches, just holding them out to the side like stabilisers. I only took a few steps but was very excited. Then had another first and managed to lift my leg into bed without using my hands. I found I can extend my knee much further than I could last night, nearly to 10 degrees from passive flexion and maintained it while lifting my whole leg from the hip using my upper quads. Woo hoo.

I need to remind myself to be careful and not over do things. I did take a minute or two to marvel at how amazing biology is.

No comments:

Post a Comment